This post may contain Amazon or other affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Sriracha Shrimp Garlic Toast makes for an eye-catching and super tasty appetizer or side. The toasts are pillowy soft on the inside, lightly crisp and toasty from the broiler on the outside, topped with delightful sriracha mayo and plenty of garlic!
Easy Shrimp Garlic Toast
Well you know me. I love me some shrimp. And right now, shrimp + sriracha are keeping a smile on my face, so dang delicious! These Sriracha Garlic Toasts with Shrimp are beautiful and incredibly tasty – I serve them as both an appetizer and a side – they’re wonderful with a fresh salad!
Every bite of this shrimp garlic bread is an explosion of flavor, packed with the kick of sriracha and garlic, the irresistible sweetness of shrimp, and the little pickled bites of capers (optional, for you pickle naysayers!).
And the bonus is the variety of textures in these tasty toasts. They’re pillowy soft on the inside, lightly crisp and toasty from the broiler on the outside. The creamy sriracha hugs the tender shrimp. And those little caper nuggets make me so very happy!
I love serving shrimp appetizers at our gatherings, whether it’s this shrimp toast, my famous shrimp kebabs, quick & easy shrimp ceviche, or grilled shrimp cocktail. Each and every recipe will impress your guests and have them coming back for seconds!
What You’ll Need
With just a few ingredients, this Sriracha garlic toast with shrimp offers BIG flavor!
- Shrimp – Grab a pound of large raw shrimp for this recipe.
- Mayonnaise – Be sure to use a quality mayonnaise and do not substitute Miracle Whip.
- Garlic – Mince it finely.
- Lemon – Add both lemon juice and lemon zest, for a fresh, bright flavor.
- Sriracha sauce – Use your favorite brand. (We like the one from Trader Joe’s!)
- Olive oil
- French bread – Sliced into 3/4″-thick slices
- Capers – Optional, but they add a great pickled flavor. I highly recommend!
- For garnish – Lemon wedges and chopped parsley.
How to Make Sriracha Shrimp Toast
Here’s how to make this easy shrimp appetizer.
- Prepare the shrimp. Place the thawed shrimp on a paper towel-lined plate. Press a second paper towel on top to remove moisture.
- Prepare the sriracha mayo. Combine the mayo, garlic, lemon juice and zest, sriracha, and salt. Spread 3 tablespoons of the sriracha mayo onto one side of each slice of bread. Toss the shrimp with the remaining sriracha mayo.
- Toast the bread. Add olive oil to a large skillet then add the bread slices, sriracha mayo side down, into the hot skillet. Toast until golden brown.
- Assemble the toast. Transfer toasts back to the sheet pan. Add 3 to 4 shrimp to each slice of bread, along with the capers.
- Broil. Broil the pan of shrimp toast for 5 to 8 minutes, until golden and crisp. Serve immediately, with fresh parsley and lemon wedges.
Tips & Variations
Here are a few tips and variations for this easy shrimp garlic toast.
- Remove all moisture from the shrimp. The shrimp, if frozen, should be thawed before beginning this recipe. Drain off excess moisture, then use paper towels to soak up any remaining moisture on the shrimp. This helps the sriracha mayo stick to the shrimp and prevents the bread from getting soggy.
- Take care not to burn the bread. When toasting the bread in the skillet, be careful to only toast it to a nice golden color and avoid burning it. Same goes when broiling – broilers vary greatly, so just keep an eye on the toasts to avoid burning them, adjusting the temperature and sheet pan position as needed.
- Spice it up. If you want your toast to be a bit spicier, feel free to add more sriracha and/or garlic to the mayo. You could even sprinkle the toasts with red pepper flakes if you like!
- Use different pickles. If you’ve ever tried my pickled red onions, then you already know they’d be a great topper for these toasts. I’d just eliminate the capers in this case.
- Try other types of seafood. You can easily make this garlic toast with pieces of crab and lobster as well. Scallops would also be great!
These sriracha garlic toasts with shrimp can be served as a light lunch or a party appetizer.
If serving these as the main course, I’d accompany them with a fresh, colorful salad or some grilled or roasted veggies.
Can I Make These in Advance?
Shrimp toast is best prepared just before serving, while the bread is freshly toasted and the shrimp is still warm. But you could absolutely prepare elements of the recipe in advance – prep the shrimp, slice the bread, and make the sriracha mayo – this will make it extra quick and easy!
More Shrimp Recipes:
Like this recipe? Save it to Pinterest!
- 1 pound large (31-40 per pound) raw shrimp, deveined and tails removed
- 2/3 cup good quality mayonnaise
- 3 large cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons sriracha sauce (use more if you like extra heat)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or substitute a couple spritzes of olive oil spray
- 8 slices soft French bread, sliced 3/4″ thick
- 2 tablespoons drained capers (use more if you like extra pickled flavor)
- fresh lemon wedges and chopped parsley for garnish
- Drain any liquid from the shrimp package and place shrimp on a paper towel lined plate. Press a second paper towel over the top, to remove excess moisture. Set shrimp aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, garlic, lemon juice and zest, sriracha, and salt.
- Remove 3 tablespoons of the sriracha mayo to a small bowl. Place bread slices on a large rimmed sheet pan and spread 1 side of each slice with this sriracha mayo.
- To the remaining sriracha mayo, add the shrimp and fold gently to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a very large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil or spritz the skillet with olive oil spray. When the oil is hot, add the bread slices, sriracha mayo side down. Toast for 1 to 3 minutes, until golden brown. Then remove toasted slices back to the rimmed sheet pan, toasted side down.
- Add sriracha mayo shrimp to the top of each bread slice, dividing the shrimp evenly across all bread slices. Add capers.
- Heat broiler on low and place pan in oven. Broil for 5 to 8 minutes, or until toasts are golden and crisp in spots and shrimp turn opaque & pink, and curl slightly. Broilers vary greatly, so check on toasts frequently – and move the pan to a lower or higher rack if needed for less or more direct heat.
- Serve as the main entree to a lighter meal, with a big fresh salad or grilled or roasted veggies. Or offer as a heartier appetizer. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over the top.
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 492Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 17gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 1305mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 23g
Nutrition information is automatically calculated by Nutritionix. I am not a nutritionist and cannot guarantee accuracy. If your health depends on nutrition information, please calculate again with your own favorite calculator.
This post was first published in 2014 and then updated in 2022.